Freitag, 13. März 2015

Varissuo and the surroundings

I have already told you some facts about my practical placement in Varissuo. Due to the fact that my placement is situated in Varissuo, I am now going to tell a little bit more about the surroundings of my apartment and explain some facts and write about different places in Varissuo.
The area we live in seems really nice and well connected to the city centre. I really appreciate having a K-market just next to us where I can do some grocery shopping. Besides that, there is also a Stockmann which serves dishes, clothes and other stuff, a pole playing place, a bar, a bakery, a kiosk (‘Kioski’) and a post office next to the supermarket.
Next to the area there is also a lake where I have already gone for a walk a couple of times. The lake was totally frozen when I first visited it and there was even someone doing ice fishing on the lake. I tried to walk on the ice but after a few meters I got to scarred and turned back. A Finn told me that walking on the ice is a very popular way of dying in Finland. Luckily, I got back safe. 
 


Ice fishing on the lake
The area itself has quite a bad reputation and you could sometimes see a police car but if you do not court, Varissuo seems quite safe when staying around your area.

If you want to go out some time, you can easily get a taxi from the city centre to Varissuo which you can always find somewhere around the Kauppatori. It takes you about 15 minutes and costs about 20 Euros to get from the city centre to Varissuo. When I went out I was able to share a taxi with other students because there are a couple of other exchange students living here as well. On Saturday there is even a night bus until 2.30 am. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen